PHILADELPHIA, PA –
After a rough week 2 for the Eagles, they come back home to play the Indianapolis Colts at Lincoln Financial Field. With both teams at 1-1, only one will come out on the right side of .500. Here’s what to watch tonight
1. The RB Depth – The Eagles running back core is completely decimated right now. Ajayi and Sproles are already ruled out and while Clement is expected to play, he is still listed as questionable. That leaves Clement, Smallwood and Josh Adams who was just promoted from the practice squad this week to take over. It will be very interesting to see how running backs coach, Duce Staley divides the carries up between these three but I think everyone expects Clement to receive the bulk of the work.
2. The WR Depth – Onto the next position group. If there is one position group that looks worse for wear than the running backs, it’s the wide receivers. With Alshon Jeffery and Mack Hollins still out, and Mike Wallace possibly being gone for the season, Howie Roseman was forced to bring in help in former Eagle’s receiver, Jordan Matthews. This means that he will be taking over the duties in the slot and Nelson Agholar will be moving outside where he struggled during his first two seasons. Most of those struggles appeared to be confidence issues that have obviously been fixed since his move into the slot. This week we get to see if Jordan Matthews is still capable of being an NFL wide receiver and if Agholar has the ability to be more than just a slot receiver.
3. He’s Back – We all knew this one is coming. After nine excruciatingly long months, we finally get to see the prodigal son return. Carson Wentz is back just in time. While Nick Foles was able to throw for over 300 yards last week, he lacks the ability to create something out of nothing. Wentz’s first week back might not look perfect but it should give a boost of confidence that this offense needs in order to get back up to their Super Bowl winning speed.
4. Can the Defense Bounce Back – The Eagles defense struggled mightily against a Ryan Fitzpatrick led Buccaneer’s offense last week. Giving up two touchdowns of over 75 yards including one of them to start the game off was rough but don’t expect this to continue. With Andrew Luck still working to get back into his groove, expect Schwartz to go after him hard and early. The defense will force multiple turnovers and be in Luck’s face all day.
5. Colts Missing Key Players – It’s not just the Eagle’s who are struggling with injuries in this game. The Colt’s will be without Anthony Castonzo, Jack Doyle, Denico Autry, Hassan Ridgeway, Marlon Mack, and Quincy Wilson this week. This will make it easy for the Eagle’s defense to focus on guys like TY Hilton and Eric Ebron while Brandon Graham and company take full advantage of backup left tackle Joe Haeg. On the offensive side of the ball, the Eagles can take advantage by running up the middle where two of the Colts three best defensive tackles will be out.
Tune in to FOX at 1 PM to watch the Colts come to Philadelphia and take on the Eagles. You can also follow the action and join the conversation as we live tweet on Twitter: @BirdsInformer during the game.