The Eagles will have to cut their roster to 53 players by the end of the preseason as they gear up to defend that Super Bowl Championship in 2018. With few camp battles to watch and not nearly the hype as years past, let’s take a stab at an early prediction for the Eagles opening day roster.
Key: Names in Green is a notable addition or keeper, Names in Red is a notable cut.
Quarterbacks (3) The top storyline that will be discussed on a daily basis this offseason is the health of Carson Wentz.
Starter: Carson Wentz
Backups: Nick Foles, Nate Sudfeld
Running Backs (4)
- Without Blount, Clement will be stealing reps at RB. Matt Jones, Donnell Pumphrey, Wendell Smallwood and UDFA Josh Adams battle for the final spot(s).
Starter: Jay Ajayi
Backups: Corey Clement and Darren Sproles, Matt Jones
Donnell Pumphrey and Josh Adams (practice squad)…Wendell Smallwood (cut)
Wide Receivers (6)
- The starters are pretty much penciled in. Wallace could be pushed for the outside position but the Eagles are relatively deep at WR just two years removed from a debacle.
Starters: Alshon Jeffrey, Mike Wallace
Slot: Nelson Agholor
Backups: Mack Hollins, Marcus Wheaton, Shelton Gibson
Tight Ends (4)
- Ertz developed into a top-3 TE in the league and Goedert should be able to replace Trey Burton’s production even as a rookie.
TE1: Zach Ertz
TE2: Dallas Goedert
Backups: Richard Rodgers, Billy Brown
Offensive Line (8)
- Protection for Wentz will be a big key to the Eagles success this season, they have one of the best tackle tandems in the NFL even if Peters feels he cannot get back to full health. The interesting prospect from Australia sticks around.
Left Tackle: Halapoulivaati Vaitai
Left Guard: Stefen Wisniewski
Center: Jason Kelce
Right Guard: Brandon Brooks
Right Tackle: Lane Johnson
Backups: Chance Warmack, Matt Pryor, Isaac Seumalo
Jason Peters (retires) Jordan Mailata (practice squad)
Defensive Line (9)
- Finding even more depth this offseason has been a focus. The defensive line may be thin in the middle to begin the season after losing Beau Allen and Jernigan not due back until late October at the earliest.
Left Defensive End: Brandon Graham
Right Defensive End: Derek Barnett
Defensive Tackle: Fletcher Cox
Defensive Tackle: Michael Bennett
Backup Tackles: Haloti Ngata, Timmy Jernigan (beginning season on IR)
Backup Defensive Ends: Chris Long, Josh Sweat, Steven Means
Line Backers (6)
- With Kendricks gone, the Eagles may be left thin at linebacker unless someone buried on the depth chart steps up.
Outside Linebackers: Nigel Bradham, Corey Nelson
MLB: Jordan Hicks
Backup LBs: Kamu Grueger-Hill, LaRoy Reynolds, Nate Gerry Paul Worrilow (Injured Reserve)… Joe Walker (cut)
Corner Backs (6)
One of the biggest storylines this training camp is who will win the starting corner spots and who slides into the slot.
Outside: Sidney Jones
Outside: Jalen Mills
Slot: Ronald Darby
Backups: Avonte Maddox, Rasul Douglas, Jeremy Lane
- A safety tandem willing to deliver the BOOM while Maragos remains a top special teamer.
Free Safety: Rodney McLeod
Strong Safety: Malcolm Jenkins
Backups: Chris Maragos, Tre Sullivan
SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
- Elliott became a key find last season and Punter Donnie Jones has moved on. Cameron Johnston is signed, but Eagles could look for a veteran
K: Jake Elliott
P: Brad Wing
LS: Rick Lovato
PRACTICE SQUAD (9)
- The NFL allows 10 practice players to stick with the team. They may add 2-3 players from other teams but this is based on Philly’s currently constructed roster.
RBs: Donnell Pumphrey, Josh Adams
WR: Bryce Treggs, Rashard Davis
OL: Jordan Mailata
DB: D.J. Killings
LB: Joe Walker
DT: Elijah Qualls
P: Cameron Johnston