The Eagles will have to cut their roster from 90 to 53 players by the end of the preseason as they gear up to defend that Super Bowl Championship in 2018. Let’s take a stab at a mid-preseason prediction for the Eagles opening night roster on September 6th.
Quarterbacks (3) The top storyline is obviously Carson Wentz. If there is an even the slightest inclination he isn’t ready, it’ll be Foles under center.
Starter: Nick Foles
Backups: Nate Sudfeld, Carson Wentz (inactive)
Running Backs (4)
- Without Blount, Clement will be stealing reps at RB. Matt Jones, Donnell Pumphrey, and Wendell Smallwood are likely the odd men out if Josh Adams returns before the final two games.
Starter: Jay Ajayi
Backups: Corey Clement, Darren Sproles, Josh Adams
Wide Receivers (6)
- Alshon Jeffery could be inactive for a few weeks as he is still recovering from shoulder surgery. Although I don’t believe he will be added to the PUP-list, he could miss 3-4 games to start the season
Starters: Mike Wallace, Mack Hollins
Slot: Nelson Agholor
Backups: Shelton Gibson, Kamar Aiken, Alshon Jeffery (inactive)
Tight Ends (3)
- Ertz developed into a top-3 TE in the league and Goedert should be able to replace Trey Burton’s production even as a rookie.
TE1: Zach Ertz
TE2: Dallas Goedert
Backups: Richard Rodgers
Offensive Line (9)
- Protection for Wentz will be a big key to the Eagles success this season, they have one of the best O-Line units in the league. Vaitai must snap back to 2017 form with Peters getting older.
Left Tackle: Jason Peters
Left Guard: Stefen Wisniewski
Center: Jason Kelce
Right Guard: Brandon Brooks
Right Tackle: Lane Johnson
Backups: Chance Warmack, Matt Pryor, Isaac Seumalo, Halapoulivaati Vaitai
Defensive Line (9)
- Finding even more depth this offseason has been a focus. The defensive line may be thin in the middle to begin the season after losing Beau Allen and Jernigan not due back until late October at the earliest.
Left Defensive End: Brandon Graham
Right Defensive End: Derek Barnett
Defensive Tackle: Fletcher Cox
Defensive Tackle: Haloti Ngata
Backup Tackles: Timmy Jernigan (beginning season on IR- eligible week 9)
Backup Defensive Ends: Michael Bennett, Chris Long, Josh Sweat, Steven Means
Line Backers (6)
- With Kendricks gone, the Eagles may be left thin at linebacker unless someone buried on the depth chart steps up.
Outside Linebackers: Nigel Bradham, Nate Gerry
MLB: Jordan Hicks
Backup LBs: Kamu Grueger-Hill, Corey Nelson, LaRoy Reynolds
Corner Backs (5)
As of now, it looks like Darby and Mills will be on the outside. A battle is brewing in the slot between Maddox and Jones.
Outside: Ronald Darby
Outside: Jalen Mills
Slot: Sidney Jones
Backups: Avonte Maddox, Rasul Douglas
- A safety tandem willing to deliver the BOOM while Eagles added some depth by bringing back Corey Graham.
Free Safety: Rodney McLeod
Strong Safety: Malcolm Jenkins
Backups: Corey Graham, Chris Maragos, Tre Sullivan
SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
- Elliott became a key find last season and Punter Donnie Jones has moved on. Cameron Johnston has done well in the preseason.
K: Jake Elliott
P: Cameron Johnston
LS: Rick Lovato
PRACTICE SQUAD (10)
- The NFL allows 10 practice players to stick with the team. They may add 2-3 players from other teams but this is based on Philly’s currently constructed roster.
QB: Christian Hackenberg
RB: Donnel Pumphrey
WR: Bryce Treggs, Rashard Davis, DeAndre Carter
OL: Jordan Mailata, Taylor Hart
DB: De’Vante Bausby
LB: Joe Walker
DT: Elijah Qualls